Protecting Residents and Patients Against COVID-19
COVID-19 has caused a public healthcare crisis that has long-term care providers working tirelessly to ensure the safety and well-being of their residents. Coronavirus (COVID-19) is part of a group of viruses that can cause common flu and respiratory infections. As the virus continues to spread throughout the U.S. and Canada, it’s critical to ensure that LTPAC providers are taking the proper steps to prevent further spread and protect their residents and patients.
Stay Prepared and Minimize Exposure Risk
Visitors, staff, and short-term residents have been identified as the biggest threat for introducing COVID-19 into long-term, post-acute, and senior living facilities. However, there are steps you can take as a care provider to minimize exposure and risk, including:
- Stay connected to local and national health authorities for status updates and response guidelines
- Remain vigilant when it comes to staff and visitors who represent the highest risk for introduction, including implementing screening tools
- Closely monitor residents/patients for symptoms and changes in condition
Leverage Tools to Monitor Patient Status
It’s more important than ever to ensure that staff are following the proper protocol and procedures within your organization. Two questions care providers should be asking are:
- How can we collect information on a regular basis that may indicate change in condition?
- How can we make the entire care team aware of symptomatic residents, and what steps have been taken in regard to isolation?
All PointClickCare customers have access to an abundance of tools that allow them to both collect pertinent clinical information and manage awareness. If you are a PointClickCare customer, here are some ways our tools can help you monitor resident or patient health status:
- Increase routine temperature checks through Point of Care and eMAR
- Temperature monitoring through Weights & Vitals portals, resident header temperature trending graphics and alerts view
- Custom screening tools or evaluations (UDA) for respiratory illness
- Respiratory evaluations using Clinical Standard Content
If you are looking for guidance in managing visitors and keeping family members connected, PointClickCare partners such as Accushield and Cliniconex have developed solutions to help monitor and track who is entering the building and engage family members with updates. Both of those can be accessed through the PointClickCare Marketplace.
CMS Infection Control Survey
CMS has announced that they will immediately suspend all non-emergency survey work and refocus inspection of skilled nursing facilities on compliance with their infection control policies.
Now, more than ever, ensuring that your staff can effectively care for your patients and residents is critical. Rest assured, PointClickCare is here to support you during this time. Visit our resource center to stay educated and informed.
March 18, 2020