The Next Frontier of Life Sciences
Over the course of the last two decades, the healthcare industry has witnessed the digitization and consolidation of data to improve scientific research.
In the past, information was siloed, disparate, and focused on health claims data.
Today, digital health systems are churning incredible amounts of valuable patient data for analysis and discovery.
This data trove is revolutionary.
Through standard electronic health record (EHR) protocols, wearable devices, and innovative digital health solutions, data is research-ready and primed to drive transformative change.
Predictions for 2022
It’s thrilling to consider the innovation possible within life sciences.
The pandemic has driven pharma and life sciences companies to leverage technology to alleviate challenges, and we can expect this collaboration to pave the way for future healthcare innovation, new medicines, and more.
With this collaboration in mind, here are my predictions for 2022:
Increased Seamless Data Exchange
The future of care is connected. This year, that connection will be realized through:
- Centralized and coordinated data access across a single shared data network to safely connect longitudinal data among life sciences companies
- Reduced Infrastructure costs to produce and store data complemented by increased security due to centralized procedures
- Improved accuracy of research, strengthened collaboration, and accelerated biomedical exploration
Analysis of Real-Time Data & Predictive Analytics
Analysis of real-time data and application of predictive analytics to target treatment is the next level of care. In the coming year, we can anticipate:
- Simple diagnostic tools that use artificial intelligence to analyze everyday speech and identify patients at risk for developing certain diseases
- Creation of a powerful solution that identifies early warning signs and early diagnosis through coupling technology and the pharmaceutical industry’s ability to digest data and focus efforts on prevention and treatment
Greater Patient Access to Leading-Edge, Life-Changing Therapies
Historically, including vulnerable populations in real-world evidence studies and clinical trials has been notoriously challenging. However, over the next year, we can expect:
- Introduction of big pharma to vulnerable populations to accelerate research on the diseases that affect them most
- Facilitation of access to longitudinal patient data, enabling life sciences organizations to conduct first-of-its-kind research, resulting in life-changing insights
Accelerating innovation through research
The analysis of de-identified patient data sets is critical to the discovery of lifesaving and altering therapies. This analysis has the potential to provide early warning signs, mitigate spread of disease, and find new cures.
Over the last two decades, PointClickCare has collected a significant amount of real-world data on patient therapy and treatment information, including detailed outcomes that result from treatments.
By breaking down the silos between patient data and research, we can accelerate innovation designed to protect the most vulnerable among us.
January 27, 2022